Monday, August 19, 2013

Oops....Beauty mistakes you don't even know you are making!



I am a magazine whore, I get about 10 different beauty and fashion magazines a month and of course my usual gossip rags every week.  


I am constantly studying each article and could probably get a Bachelor's degree in beauty product knowledge.  I have a bathroom full of products so full, I could open my own beauty supply store for my neighborhood.
I found myself at a girls lunch recently and was astonished at the lack of what I would call some basic beauty knowledge.  I mean come on ladies...what are you doing?  



I gave them my speech and they gave me grief and I now feel like I need to give everyone a Beauty Intervention. Here are the things I think all girls should know, for a couple of reasons, but most specifically because it's costing you money!

1.  When is the last time your makeup brushes got a bath?  Why are we still talking about this?  Your brushes collect residual oil from your skin that can clog your pores and cause break outs.  You have to clean them at least once a week-no exceptions.  Baby shampoo is most preferred, but any gentle soap will do fine.  Oh, and let them air dry...seriously! I need to say that because you know at least one of you thought your blow dryer could make quick work of the process!

2.  Clean the lint out of the back grid of your hair dryer.  I know most of you are like me and have fallen into the $100-$200 hair dryer purchase.  Well, take care of it!!  That area needs to suck in air to work efficiently.  By leaving all that dust trapped your dryer will not last as long and it will take you FOREVER to dry that gorgeous mane.



3.  Your not using a base coat on your mani?  WHAT??  It does not matter if you spend $6 bucks at Target or $28 bucks at the Dior counter.  If you don't use a base coat your mani will not last as long as it could.

4.  Are you really still washing your hair everyday?  I spoke with our Mom this morning and was totally stalling with her because I knew once I got off the phone I had to take a shower.  I hate taking a shower, I'm like a 6 year old boy!!  Well, the good news is you shouldn't be washing your hair everyday anyway...Score!!  There are so many options to extend the lift of your last wash even some really great DIY dry shampoo versions which you know we love (check our pinterest).  Also, break out a magazine (or if your not a crazy subscriber like I am go stand at the grocery store for 10 minutes and flip through Glamour or Bazar...it's so darn hot outside right now anyway).  Look at all the cute hairstyles that can take you into day 2,3 and 4 of not washing.  High Ponies are totally in, sleek ballerina buns or learn how to do a fishtail braid.



5.  One time and one time only will I say this.  STOP SLEEPING IN YOUR MAKEUP.  I am not even going to go into why, you should know this already.  Buy those perfectly packaged towelettes as a quick go to if you are just so wiped from your glamorous night out.

6.  You are probably using too much conditioner.  That hair on the top of your head is brand new and in the best condition of its life.  You only need this product on the hair from your ears down anything more is a waste of money.



7.  Your makeup expires, seriously it does.  If you still have that Bonnie Bell gloss from high school you are putting your self at risk.  You can actually damage your skin and/or eyes if you use a product that is out of date.  Mascara only lasts 3 to 4 months! You have to part with your old makeup, sorry!

8.  STOP BEING A STRESS BALL!  Stress causes all sorts of problems including puffy eyes, hair loss, wrinkles and acne.  Calm the hell down, take a yoga class, go for a hike, make an appointment with your bath tub.  Find a way to take it down a level and chill out.  Your body, mind and spirit will thank you.

Love and Tulips,
Amanda from Irvine

No comments:

Post a Comment