Thursday, June 6, 2013

Coconut and Honey Hair Cleanser

Coconut Oil for Healthy Hair
For a couple of years now I have had a hair problem.....a deep dark secret that rears it's ugly head from time to time, especially noticed when wearing a black top.  It may not be noticeable to everyone but I can feel every last "itch" of it. DRY SCALP! It is not the most attractive topic to approach. I keep thinking of that odd slightly dirty girl in The Breakfast Club who scratched her scalp as "snow" fell from her head onto her desk. 


I haven't always had it but somewhere I received this gift while being pregnant:) To top it off I also have oily hair, which I feel must be washed daily! The thought of dry shampoo makes me gasp! So after several over the counter dandruff, psoriasis and dry scalp treatments I made my way to the dermatologist.  I was prescribed several things actually which made my hair feel like a mix between straw and dead grass with a worse burning sensation. 
I have had it....I am taking matters into my own hands the old fashioned way. I found this nourishing hair oil recipe that used oils and honey on Wellness Mama and was sold. I am up for anything now. With a few tweaks from the original recipe I was confident that this might work. 
Remedy for Dry Scalp
I first prepared my ingredients in a small bowl.
  • 2 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Honey
**This amount would work on any hair length, since you are focusing on the scalp and not necessarily the hair


Now not all coconut oil is the same.  In it's natural state it is a solid. If you purchase this kind simply melt the oil before adding in other ingredients. I prefer buying liquid coconut oil for it's ease. Nature's Way, which I purchased at Whole Foods, makes a great product that is easily dispensed. I could go on and on about the benefits of this oil, which can be used in beauty products all the way to cooking.  
An itchy Scalp can be cured with this DIY method
Coconut Oil contains natural antibacterial properties, which protect the scalp against infections resulting in itching, dandruff and weak hair. It also boosts health and shine of hair with Vitamins E and K. When massaged into scalp Coconut oil increases blood circulation to prevent dandruff! Let's try it shall we????

Dandruff can be prevented with Coconut oil and Honey
Since the recipe calls for honey it may be difficult to mix in, so I used my Electric Milk Frother, which can be inexpensively purchased at IKEA or elsewhere. After mixing ingredients I flipped my head upside down and used my fingertips to massage in mixture (I recommend wearing an old shirt in case of spills). I really focused on the scalp not so much the actual hair. I used the entire amount and prayed for the best. If you are concerned about the honey-don't be-it all works out in the end.
After applying I completely combed through my hair (still upside down) to the ends, twisted it and put it up in a high bun. I wanted to reap all the benefits of the oils, so I allowed it to sit on my scalp for about 30 minutes! During this time you might crave chocolate, as I did, because you smell like a most delicious Almond Joy candy bar. No joke it is amazing, and worth doing it again just for that.
DIY dandruff cleanser
After your 30 minutes is up you will want to completely rinse your hair and shampoo it. I currently love Nature's Gate Tea Tree Calming Shampoo. I gave it one good shampoo and could already feel that I didn't need conditioner, which for me is unheard of. I then combed very easily through my hair. My scalp tingled and felt amazing. My hair also smelled outrageous (husband tested) and had a great shine. The best part the next day I woke up with no itchy scalp or oily residue. I can see doing this twice a week for someone like me with dry scalp, or once a week for someone who would like to add shine and clean hair of product build-up.
This is totally well worth it I can't say it enough. Don't get in a tizzy over the use of straight oils as hair care, it is impressive what nature can do.
Love and Tulips,
Nicole from Alpharetta

1 comment:

  1. Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. skincare tips

    ReplyDelete