Monday, May 20, 2013

Healthy and Natural Fruit and Citrus Flavored Water

It's Beauty Monday!  I love how we can take a boring case of the Monday's right off your plate by adding fun Beauty tips for you to try this week.  At least that is what is getting me through today!! 

Tulips Apothecary drinks flavored water

As I have been sharing with all of you beauties, I am currently in the throes of a diet and exercise plan with the Hub's.  I have been so hot and cold with the exercise thing these last few years.  I go a few months hard core into the program and then I get bored, and I am cold turkey off of it on the couch with a bag of cinnamon pita chips and a Bravo reality show.  I don't know why it happens, but the good thing is that right now is bathing suit season and I am on it! 

Fruit and Citrus Flavored Water Ingredients
One constant I do have whether I am a good girl at the gym, or a sloth at home on the couch is drinking water.  Not only is it imperative to a good healthy exercise routine, but it is crucial in just generally looking good.  

People that drink the recommended daily water intake have better looking skin, look more youthful, have less bloat (means skinny ladies!), and have more energy!  Did you know your body is made up of 70% water and your brain is about 90% water?




I know when I haven't had enough water for the day.  I get a headache, I start to break out, I am grouchy and on and on.  Since I drink so much water I am always looking for ways to spice it up and add some flavor without adding the dreaded calories. 
 

How to make flavored water that is healthy
Recently on Facebook, a post about water was circulating and caught my eye.  Check out the Tulips Facebook page to see the actual post from May 13.

I gave two of the recipes a try,  Lemon/Cucumber and Strawberry/Lime

The Classic Lemon/Cucumber:
Mix in a pitcher: 10 cups of water + 1 cucumber and a lemon, thinly sliced + 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped basil leaf + 1/3 of finely chopped fresh mint leaves. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.  I used two lemons as mine were a bit small and I also like a more tart flavor.

Add fresh Herbs to your water for a boost
The Granite: Strawberry/Lime
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 6 strawberries and one thinly sliced lime + 12 finely chopped fresh mint leaves. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.  Again, I used two limes however it was a bit too much.  One lime would have been perfect…as per the directions silly??

The recipe is super easy and when you are finished, the result is beautiful!  I did not have pitchers large enough to accommodate all the ingredients and the water, so I used some vases.  I feel obligated to say that it would be wise to run them through the dishwasher at a high temperature and clean every nook and cranny to be sure you are not going to drink dried flower water...gross!!

Also, I used a small strainer over my drinking glass when pouring the water so that I did not get all the herb bits in my glass.  Try putting a few slices of the fruit inside of the glass for a refreshingly beautiful look.
 
 
Lemon Cucumber and Strawberry Lime Flavored Waters

Hope you get to try the other recipes, and if you do let us know how they worked out!  Have a great week!
Love and Tulips,
Amanda from Irvine, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment